Mission and Values
Gem is on a mission to build the operating system for a modern recruiting industry — one that’s candidate-focused, data-driven, and diversity-conscious. This is a $250B industry and we are only just getting started!
- Diversity - Diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and products. We have several ERG’s and are constantly educating ourselves and others.
- Transparency by default - so everyone can make the best decisions. Employees feel more brought along in the growth of the company with transparency all around, including visibility into our funding rounds, customer calls and board decks.
- Customer-centric - We talk to customers to decide what to build and drive the most value. Our engineers are all product engineers and see value in connecting directly with the end-user to help identify and influence our product roadmap.
Currently 140. Hoping to get to 200 by the end of year!
Women in Leadership
Work / Life Balance
Our co-founders take regular PTO and make it a point to share in All Hands to emphasize how important it is to take time off, no matter how senior your role.
There is flexibility in working hours and some folks like to come in around 7:30/8 and leave at 4/4:30 whereas some come in around 10/10:30 and work until 6/7pm. If folks do stay late, it is often because of social events or gaming nights.
If work extends into the weekend, it is often driven by personal ambition. With wellness days during the pandemic once a month, our leaders wanted to ensure (even though we couldn’t go anywhere) that we were taking breaks since most folks weren’t taking PTO to go travelling.
Benefits and Perks
Health & Wellness
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Regular wellness days during the pandemic
- Monthly mental wellness stipends
Paid Time Off
- PTO / Vacation Policy
- Paid Holidays
- Maternity / Paternity Leave (12 weeks)
- 401K / Retirement Plan
- Company Social Outings
- Free Food
Gem is in the process of rolling out a bi-annual performance review cycle to evaluate performance with both manager and peer feedback as well as comp and level reviews.
Our HR team is currently comprised of our Director of HR and an HR generalist, both of whom approach their work with empathy, compassion and transparency. For disputes, our HR team sits down with employees to hear them and come to a mutual agreement of the best course of action forward.
Team Culture & Bonding
Gem is a culture of transparency, kindness and customer focus and our employees embody that. Our leaders lead by example and encourage our team to find balance between work and life and to take PTO and we see that from our leadership team.
Read more on how our employees truly feel about working at Gem.
Our interview process for engineers involves:
- 1 coding challenge (1 hour) with one of our engineers that covers basic algorithms and data structures. The interviewer will evaluate how well you translate your thoughts into code and on code correctness and quality. The interview is language agnostic and will be using a shared coding environment.
- After the coding assessment, candidates go through a full day onsite in which they will get into our code base to work on a feature build alongside one of our engineers with some paired programming baked in! Candidates love this process and feel they get a better sense of what it is like to work on the team and the types of technical challenges they might face.
- Candidates are communicated the outcome of the process within 24 to 48 hours. For candidates that unfortunately don’t make it through our process, we offer up a call with the recruiter to provide explicit feedback.