At Nearside, we believe that starting a business should be easier. Our mission is to provide accessible, transparent, and fair financial products to help people start and grow their businesses.
- Understand before being understood: We actively strive to understand the person working across from us. We believe that everyone brings something to the table and that it is important to understand their views before we express our own. If we seek to understand first then compromise, empathy and understanding will follow.
- The work is more important than the effort: Delivering financial services and honest credit to small businesses is not dependent on how many hours we work, or how hard we try. It is dependent on whether we succeed at helping small business owners succeed. Effort alone is not enough—thoughtful planning, discussion, empathy, and execution are required to deliver products that our customers find useful.
- People are fallible, systems shouldn’t be: Everyone makes mistakes. We want to create a culture where we can own up, resolve, and learn from our mistakes. More important to us than determining culpability or placing blame, is developing systems and processes for improvement. These endure past any one person’s effort, error, and ultimately our own time at Nearside.
- Grow the pie! We believe that sweat equity should be recognized and rewarded. Business owners work hard in order to build a better life for themselves, their families, and their communities. Our goal is to support business owners who have the grit and passion to succeed and together, build a better economy for everyone.
- It takes a village: Capital alone is not enough to start or make a small business successful. Business owners depend on their communities and other businesses for support, advice, and expertise. At Nearside, we try to understand how everyone both internally and externally—contributes to the overall effort. This allows us to move forward together and faster.
☀️ Benefits & Perks
- Best-in-class, fully covered HMO and PPO plans for all employees (dependents are 100% paid for).
- Fully covered Beam Dental and Vision VSP insurance (dependents are 100% paid for)
- 401K fund with 4% company matching contribution
- Untracked/flexible vacation policy. Employees are encouraged to take one week off per quarter.
- Monthly subsidy for gym memberships, and fitness classes.
- Monthly subsidy for transportation to and from the office (if you are in office—we also have employees all over the US)
- Monthly education subsidy for personal and professional development.
- 3 months of paid parental leave per child.
- Fertility and Adoption expenses coverage (e.g. diagnostics, egg freezing, IVF services).
- Nearside will match annual donations to your favorite charities.
We’re over 50 people today, with plans to grow and scale substantially in 2021. We are actively hiring for many roles across Credit & Risk, Data Science, Engineering, Growth, People, and Product & Design teams.
Women make up about 38% of our leadership team. Including:
@emilyyoung is our Head of Credit & Fraud (who found her role through Elpha 🙌)
@laurelcoster is our Head of Operations & Customer Support
@michelletang1 is our Head of Design
🖖 Work / life balance
Because Nearside tends to be a high-trust environment, working times can vary per individual, or by team. We do converge around certain times for meetings with coworkers, vendors, and partners, but outside of those hours Nearside employees are encouraged to take time for themselves throughout the day whenever they need it.