Mission and Values
At Teachable our north star is to enable the transformative power of knowledge throughout the world. We believe anything is Teachable. Individuals, Creators (often entrepreneurs) can share their knowledge-based products through our platform that enables so much more than creating an online course, but also 1:1s, coaching.
Our reach is proven: As of 2020, more than 37 million students have enrolled in courses created on Teachable, and instructors using our platform have collectively earned over $1 billion.
But we’re just getting started.
In March 2020, Teachable became a part of the Hotmart group, an international startup based in Brazil with over 1,500 employees worldwide. Hotmart's mission is perfectly aligned with our own: to help creators transform their ideas and skills into real online businesses.
We’re on a mission to empower creators with opportunities to transform their knowledge into income. We’re looking for talented individuals with diverse interests to help power what we do.
Things we value:
- Empathy: When we empower others to succeed, we all win. We keep our community of creators at the center of all we do. Our priority is to be their partner in business.
- Transparency: we believe in open communication because when you are clued into the inner workings of your company you feel more ownership and that makes working together easy.
- Humility: we encourage each department to stay tight-knit and work with agility and autonomy while focusing on communication. Celebrate little wins, big wins, and learn from challenges and failure. It only makes us better.
We are around 200 full-time employees today, with plans to grow by 40-50% next year.
Women in Leadership
Work / Life Balance
We recognize our employees need time to relax, enjoy themselves and their loved ones. Boundaries matter and so does signing off. Often we have to tell our busy-bees to get off slack and unplug if we see that “green bubble” during their time off or on the weekends. Work doesn’t extend into the weekends, instead, some teams offer “(virtual) Onsites” to assess big scale goals, roadmapping, and more so our employees don’t need to work late or into the weekends.
Teachable values work-life balance per our discretionary vacation policy; our company average is ~24 days. We offer paid sick leave and standard national holidays. We also have paid parental leave and a 50% gym or wellness match.
Benefits & Perks
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Health Benefits
- FSA (Flexible Spending Account) for those who are eligible
- Employer-sponsored disability benefits
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan: 401k with Matching
- Discretionary vacation policy
- A 50% gym or wellness match, worth up to $100 a month in pre-tax dollars
- Up to $1,200/year (for professional education) or up to $100/month (supplemental loan repayment)
- Conference budget up to $1,250 annually
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) which offers services such as mental health counseling, financial health consultation, and legal consultation (see attached for more details)
- Donation Match through Millie Giving up to $250 Annually
- Headspace subscription
- Kindbody subscription (Fertility Benefits)
- Talkspace subscription
We have a formalized review process twice a year. It acts as an opportunity to provide feedback, evaluate, assess and reward individual achievement.
We have a growing People team that covers benefits, onboarding/offboarding, recruiting, DEI efforts and resources (ERG, employee resource groups etc.), and more. We have an Employee Handbook that provides the steps to follow and people to contact to handle employee disputes.
Team Culture & Bonding
Our team culture is very approachable despite the huge growth we’ve seen in the past few years. As an organization, we are transparent, encourage experimentation, believe in the mission, and see the value and impact of diversity, inclusion, and equity in the team at large. The team socializes and bonds through monthly themed virtual (and in-person) events such as Hackathons, Halloween trivia, movie nights, or inter-team bonding such as cooking classes and more. Like any other tech company, we use Slack for business and fun (channels for plant owners, coffee lovers, randomness, parents, etc).
Typically this is grouped into a 3 step process:
- Call with recruiting team member (30 min)
- Call with the Hiring Manager OR technical assessment (1 hr)
- A “virtual onsite interview” (3.5 hr).
The application review process is under 24 hours, when a candidate is rejected upon application they are notified via email, however, if the candidate made it to the final round and is rejected a phone call is scheduled to debrief and share feedback.
Teachable is headquartered in New York, United States.