Mission and Values
Tuff is a team designed to seamlessly integrate into our partner’s businesses to help them experience real growth. We build custom teams that click into their business and act as an in-house growth marketing team, replacing the hassle and risk of prematurely hiring and managing an in-house marketer or team of freelancers.
Tuff was born because we were tired of talking to startups and founders that were getting the runaround; being sold growth plans full of mysterious behind-the-scenes work, cumbersome roadblocks, shallow results, and quick wins with no follow-through.
Our 2022 Focus: Keep it real. Build each other and our partners up, have the hard conversations, work together to untangle the challenges of growth, and ultimately feel good about what we do.
We’re a tight-knit crew of scrappy mad scientists.
- Tight knit: we’re trim but mighty. The peek-over-each-other’s-shoulder types of radical collaborators with bottomless zest to be better for ourselves, each other, and our clients.
- Scrappy: Whether our clients are strapped with startup constraints or bringing an enterprise budget, efficiency is the name of the game. No matter the starting line, we’re ready for go time.
- Mad scientists: our feet are firmly planted in seasoned expertise. But there’s no gilded road that leads to growth: we test, optimize, refine, and test again with a never-ending (and sometimes “mad”) drive to streamline, find efficiencies, and forge your unique path to growth.
We’re radically transparent.
We keep our clients up to date on what we’re testing, how it’s performing, and what it means for short and long-term success. We’re also built to be highly autonomous or fully collaborative, becoming an always-on extension of our client’s teams.
We’re laser-focused on client revenue.
If it’s not bringing in bucks for our clients, it’s out.
We are a fully remote team of 25 distributed across the U.S. and plan to add 10 more to the team this year.
Learn more about how we all work together in the Tuff Communication Guide.
As a growth marketing agency, we’re in a fast-paced environment where things change and evolve quickly. Our team is efficient, decisive, and ready to learn and adapt.
The weekdays can be busy and full. When it comes to working on the weekends, that is highly discouraged and not common. If team members are working on the weekend it’s mostly driven by personal ambition. We encourage team members not to download email or Slack on their phones and respect that people have a life outside of work.
Benefits and Perks
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance: Tuff’s insurance is provided by United Health Insurance.
- Parental Leave: Anyone at Tuff who is becoming a parent through childbirth, surrogacy, adoption, or foster care is eligible for paid leave, no matter how long they’ve been on the team. All parents – regardless of gender or sexual identity – are treated equally at Tuff. For more details, see our Family Leave Doc.
- 401k with matching: We use Guideline for your 401k benefits at Tuff and this is organized through Gusto. We offer a 50% match on the first 4% of compensation.
- Wellness Day: We strongly encourage everyone to take one day/quarter explicitly for the doctor, dentist, ophthalmologist, mental health, hike, yoga/meditation retreat, etc.
- Coworking Space Stipend: If you feel most productive at a coworking space, Tuff will provide a stipend.
- Unlimited Vacation
- MacBook Pro or laptop of your choice
We’ve worked closely as a team to develop our Career Framework. Our Career Framework serves the team in two ways:
- A system of Levels and Steps for each role means teammates have the opportunity to grow in flexible ways
- Each Level and Step has a role salary assigned that serves as a variable in our compensation model
Tuff Goal Setting Framework:
In addition to our Career Framework at Tuff, we also leverage the OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) goal-setting framework to support each team member's professional development and help with progression through our Level and Step system.
The benefits of this framework include a better focus on results that matter, increased transparency, and better (strategic) alignment. OKRs help us bridge the gap between strategy and execution and move from an output- to an outcome-based approach to work.
Each team member works with their manager to set OKRs based on their current Level and Step for all four quarters of the year. These live in an OKR tracking system called Gtmhub. Each team member also has a 6-week check-in with their manager to review progress on their OKRs using this template.
Read more about our compensation policy here.
We don’t have a dedicated HR or People Ops team. We have this scheduled as a hire for 2022 but for now, the CEO handles all HR questions and discussions.
Step 1: Phone Screens
This first step in the interview process is the phone screen. Our goal here is to understand motivations and ability to contribute to Tuff client’s + culture.
Step 2: Focus Interviews
If a candidate moves to the next step, they then have a Focus Interview. The goal of this interview is to assess the competencies we’ve listed are important for success in the role. These interviews are conducted by a senior member of the Tuff team with relevant experience in that position.
Step 3: Project
The final step in the interview process at Tuff is a short project. The goal is to get a more in-depth understanding of your skills and give you a sneak peek into working at Tuff. We don’t want the project to be too time-consuming so we set the expectation to spend no more than 4-6 hours on the project. We also use a fake client. We want to make sure we're not asking someone to do work that a Tuff team member would be paid for. So, the project is an example of work you’d be doing if they joined the team but it isn’t work Tuff would gain monetary value from.
Step 4: Hire 🎉
We extend an offer! Through this process, we are able to find and get to know great candidates who have join the team.