Our mission is to empower everyone to build the internet. Universe is a magical new way to build websites –– it’s the first website builder designed for phones. Our app makes it easy for anyone to make a great looking website and start selling online in minutes from your iPhone, iPad, and Mac. And we make it as fun as playing with Legos!
Give it a try: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1211437633?mt=8
We are a team of learners –– we are intensely passionate about personal and professional growth. We work to get better day by day, making incremental and thus exponential progress. We look for people who want to be co-creators of the company –– as a team member at Universe, you will be actively involved in shaping us, from culture to community and from processes to product.
S.E.E.K. is the acronym for our values:
- Superlative –– We believe in doing our work to the highest degree of quality. The products that we create should elicit an emotional response that is unmatched.
- Exploration –– We believe that the best work is indistinguishable from play. What we don’t know inspires us, curiosity fuels us. We are a tiny spaceship exploring an infinite future. To navigate to success, we ask good questions. We learn by doing.
- Empowerment –– We believe that humans can change the world for the better. Our job is to equip people with the technical, creative, and economic tools to do it. Trust great people. Give them ownership. Assume good intent. Dream big.
- Kaizen –– We believe in iterative, continuous improvement over sweeping action and big central plans. Compounded growth over long periods of it yields outsized results. Everything is a draft, a work-in-progress.
☀️ Benefits & Perks
- Work from anywhere with a wifi signal!
- Unlimited vacation –– take time when you need it.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- A credit to get your ideal work from home setup.
- A credit to have a museum membership –– any museum in the world, to help you stay inspired.
- Fun, informative offsites –– online for now, in-person again when we are able— a time to build bonds with teammates and continue to expand our horizons.
- Weekly online yoga classes
We are currently a team of 38 –– we will most likely grow to around over 50 in 2022!
Currently, 2/8 of our leadership roles are held by women. In the company as a whole, we are at almost 50/50 parity between men and women, and we plan to continue to hire more women and create an environment where women flourish. We pushed to hire more women, and we succeeded! Especially in the second half of 2020 –– we went from one woman on the team in May 2020 to ten as of February 2021!
✏️ Interview process
Our interview process varies depending on team function but at a high level our process is phone call, take-home exercise, 1:1 interviews, then an interview with the CEO.
📈 Career growth
As a startup, we value and recognize each team member’s contributions to the company and product. Team members are in constant communication with their team leaders and have quarterly 1:1s with the CEO to talk about goals, performance, and gain alignment on ongoing work.
🖖 Work / life balance
Universe was founded as a remote-first company and its fully remote team is spread out across the United States. We have core hours (12PM ET - 5:30PM ET), where everyone is online and working –– these hours allow us to have team meetings and other synchronous communication. Outside of the core hours, you have the ownership and autonomy to get your work done. In general, the team is offline on the weekend –– it’s understood that we work hard during the week, and value time outside of work as well.
✨ Work style
The culture at Universe is kind and uplifting. We work hard, and we have fun! We have a weekly team hang via Zoom, and someone is always sharing interesting links or funny memes in Slack. At Universe, we value people as their whole self, both inside and outside of work — we welcome people with hobbies and deep interests. Day to day, if there is ever any sort of differing opinion on how things should be done, all opinions are considered and welcomed.