About the Role
FieldLevel needs a senior-level product designer who has a track record of creating experiences that lead to re-engagement. The right designer for this role is more interested in experience design and writing than interaction and visual design.
The area of ownership for your team is communication outside of the app. We are a network where athletes and coaches connect to find opportunities. The communication that happens around activity on the platform is central to a members' success. When something important happens for a member, but they don't know about it or aren't responsive, it is worse than that member not even being a part of the network. The mission of this team is to make sure our members don't miss out on what matters to them most.
You will be part of a brand new product team, building and improving how users experience communication. Pokes, notifications, and experimental re-engagement are your domain. You will not be doing corporate communications, educational content, or feature releases. Your base metric is re-engagement, and you will attempt to impact this via experience metrics that are meaningful to members.
Over the next year, we intend to tackle some significant problems related to re-engagement. Some of the issues you will be working on include:
- Too often, coaches and athletes tell us they have missed a milestone or didn't get a timely alert for the activity that happened on FieldLevel. You will discover where we fail to meet expectations and build a pattern for communicating that ensures no important activity gets missed.
- We lean heavily on email. With a majority of our members, this is not the right communication channel. You will be working to communicate with members where they are, with the right message, using the right medium, at the right time.
- Lots of coaches and athletes sign up and never return. For many, the timing just isn't right. You get to figure out how to reach them when the moment is right, motivate them, and keep that momentum going through to success.
Your team's solutions to these problems will unlock growth and set members up for successful outcomes. At FieldLevel, success means a high school athlete gets to play in college, and a college lands an athlete that has the potential to propel them to a championship. It may sound a little corny, but that puts us squarely in the dreams business.
As a product designer at FieldLevel, you will be reporting to Jake Schirm, VP of Product Design. Jake is responsible for the product's usability and brings over 20 years of design experience to the team.
At FieldLevel, Design thinking is central to how we approach problem-solving. Our process encourages teams to discover and deliver. Our team members are growth-minded, good at what they do, and kind to one another. We believe that learning, impacting, and being continually challenged are the keys to career happiness.
As the fifth member of the design team, you will have the opportunity to impact how we do design at FieldLevel. We are continuously working to improve our process and system thinking. Bring your process experience and help us to build together better.
In addition to your role on the design team, you are part of a dedicated, empowered product team, with a product manager, frontend engineer, backend engineer, and data analyst. Product teams at FieldLevel work in cycles to deliver on essential objectives. Your primary role on this team is to ensure the usability of the solution.
What Work-life Balance Means to FieldLevel
- Remote, in-person, or hybrid, you choose
- Unlimited vacation policy (3 weeks off at least required to take per year....)
- Ten paid holidays and the days between Christmas and New Years
- One week of sick leave each year
- Multiple team-building off-sites per year
- Attend conferences and training of your choosing
Compensation and Benefits
- Highly competitive salary
- Fully paid medical (HMO, PPO, Kaiser options) and dental for you, your partner, and your children
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- 401K with matching
- Stock options
Grow with FieldLevel
We are a 44 person, growth stage company funded by some of the biggest names in sports. We have an ambitious vision and are working to create an enduring company.
We have offices in Solana Beach and Ventura, CA, that offer the Pacific Ocean's expansive views. If California isn't your home, we still want to hear from you. We've been a distributed team since 2008 (some of us in our corporate offices and some in-home offices) and plan on staying that way. If you enjoy working remotely, work on a Pacific Time (PT) schedule, and are experienced with it, you will fit right in.
We know that innovation thrives on product teams where diverse points of view come together to solve hard problems in ways that are just now possible. As such, we explicitly seek people that bring diverse life experiences, diverse educational backgrounds, diverse cultures, and diverse work experiences. Please be prepared to share with us how your perspective will bring something unique and valuable to our product teams.
Connect with me if this sounds interesting!