Elphas, I desperately need advice. TLDR; would you risk a startup offer 50% more than current base pay to finish interviewing with Google and Meta?
Last month I started interviewing for Product Manager roles. I have a non-traditional background, started in customer service and transitioned to PM 4.5 years ago, Im secure in my current role but have hit the proverbial “glass ceiling.” I have some college credits but no degree. This job search is to figure out if I’m hire-able without finishing school, understand my market value, and to find a role that’s interesting and has growth potential. I responded to recruiting messages from a couple startups and Meta. I also had a friend refer me to Google.
Start Up 1 (first choice): gave me a verbal offer, one more call with CEO this week
Meta: 2 interviews completed, 4 more ahead
Startup 2: screening complete, 1 interview this week
Google: screening complete, no interviews scheduled yet
I love startup 1, their product and vision align with my career goals and would give me the ownership I’m looking for, everyone I’ve met has been smart and passionate. If they offer me what I’ve asked for, I’ll take it - it would be a 50% base increase. BUT, I feel like I need to see the Google and Meta interviews through. Mentally, I’ve struggled with shame and imposter syndrome from my lack of a degree. Getting an offer from any FAANG would remove that doubt and pressure which led to burn out last year. I’ll feel truly secure in my career whether I take the FAANG role or not.
I told the Meta and Google recruiters I have an offer but I doubt they’ll be able to expedite the interview process more than 2 weeks. Is it rude to ask for two weeks to decide on the startups offer? Should I risk the startup offer to continue with Meta and Google?