I see a lot of people saying that they're awful at networking, but it doesn't need to be this way so I wanted to share my best networking tips that will make it easier for you and make you memorable to the people that you want to stay in touch with --
- Show up curious about other people. Don't go into the event with an agenda in mind or try to figure out a script or what you're going to say. Instead, enter the room with the intent to actively listen.
- Instead of handing out business cards, use the LinkedIn QR code feature on your phone and have them request you, not the other way around, so you can accept the connection.
- Approach people that are either alone or in groups of 3 or more. It's awkward to interrupt 2 people talking.
- Name tags go on the right because that's where the eye goes when you shake hands.
- Pay attention to names. Most people say that they're "Bad at names" but that's because they don't listen - they're thinking about the next thing they're going to say. Get good at names by giving 100% attention when someone tells you their name, and make an association with someone else or something else you'll remember it. This alone will make you memorable!