Hi Elpha community,
This is the first time I am in a Director role ... and the first time I am underperforming at a job. I am under tremendous pressure to deliver, and I am not sure why it's been difficult for me to get up to speed and plan out a strategy for my marketing and communications plans.
I don't come from the industry (environmental/carbon markets and sustainable development) so a lot of the experience I have from the past is different from what the CEO's expectations are of me to deliver.
I can't seem to pin-point how I can do better while I am still learning the business. I feel like I don't have enough information to write specific plans and execute on them because:
1. There are so many internal stakeholders I need to communicate with so I can put some tangible content together (case studies, thought leadership, media pitches etc)
2. There are so many external stakeholders (clients) I need to communicate with to ask if they will collaborate with us on marketing/comms efforts. I am still learning at what stages in our business those clients are in
3. I manage a marketing manager who preceded me and I don't have a line of sight into his work. He's also very busy with various projects that I haven't been involved in
4. My CEO is amazing, but I don't know how best to work with her....she intimidates me in our meetings because sometimes I don't have answers for her and. I can see that it is disappointing her
5. I haven't done a lot of the processes they have in place before (OKR reporting)
6. I have immediate deliverables that make it difficult for me to also build a strategy around all the marketing efforts and build the company into a brand
Any advice if you have felt that you are underqualified for a job you already have? Or is 3 months still not enough time to be where I need to be, and I should stick it out.
Stress management tips are welcome too!