1. Move, move, move (or at least minimise sitting) 🤸
Sitting significantly diminishes flow of oxygen to brain already after 20 minutes.
When sitting for 8-10h daily, and then doing 1h intense sport (even if daily) does not resolve the damage done by sitting.
The solution is to MOVE throughout the day.
Movement in every break, work on standing desk, walking meetings and calls... do add to the list of ideas how to MOVE more regularly :)
2. Do something new every day 🧩
Small things count! Brush your teeth with the "wrong" hand. Take a different route to work or supermarket. Read a magazine you normally wouldn't read. Solve a puzzle or riddle (different than usual). Or, the most powerful option: have a deep, meaningful, innovative conversation.
Puzzles and games are great. Quality of human connection and interaction is irreplaceable.
3. Keep on learning 📚
Picking up a bit longer learning "journey" - being it learning a new skill, language, attending a course or developing new ability on your own - gives us a great framework for our brain to keep on "stretching".
4. Expose yourself to nature 🍃 and silence
Our eyes, our body, our minds are not build for eternal amount of stimulus that we are receiving, nor for "urban" spaces.
Give it a rest, change to recharge and space by creating time in nature, and time in silence.
5. Check in with yourself 🧘
Stress is such an everyday habit for many of us that we don't even notice that we are rushed or stressed.
Create micro-moments in your day in which you slow down. It can be very simple:
- using a moment at traffic light or when washing the hands to ask yourself what are you grateful for
- checking in your breathing and tension in shoulders and jaw several times throughout the day
- monitor yourself during activities that you know are stressful for you
- doing small things in day deliberately slowly and mindfully (eg breakfast, 10 min reading etc)
- meditating or trying out progressive muscle relaxation exercise or different breathing exercises
Our brain 🧠 is one of the most priceless gifts that we have in our life. It literally CREATES our world and reality.
It is the key ingredient and influence in our quality of life.
It is well worth of taking better care of it!
Which one will you do already today?
And what other tips and ideas do you have to keep your brain "charged"?
What do you do for your brain?