It doesn't have to be...but it sort of is! Why?
A few reasons, here they are:
- Job searching is not a sprint, it’s a marathon.(Marathons are hard, you start training like 6 months before!… anyways)
- It feels so personal (but it’s not)
- You feel a lack of control over the entire process (truth)
- Cold-applying to jobs is a black hole of sadness (but it does not have to be!)
So what to do? Don’t tell me you expect to just take it.. remember… there is always a way to take control and create space for joy…kinda like the rainbow after the rain, though the rain is pretty cool sometimes too.
Here’s what you do:
- Apply like there’s no tomorrow. 20+ job applications per week min, or you can’t call it a proper job search. Except if you’re crazy busy with a FT job, if that’s the case… maybe taking some PTO to spend some time applying, can do the trick.
- Network today + tomorrow + the next day. Basically, network A LOT. Send a ton of messages, some will reply others won’t. It’s your job to send, don’t worry about who replies.
- Focus your resume & Linkedin. Focus, focus, focus… no one needs to know what you did 10 years ago, but they do want to know what projects and skills you bring to the table today.
Are you job searching? Want more job tips? Click the link and you’ll receive a bunch of very useful emails with tips, you can use, like right now.