Positive feedback feels so good! Especially the non-specific kind:
Patricia is an experienced manager.
Patricia is very knowledgeable.
Patricia is a hardworking employee.
But it's the perfect trap. You feel good but there's nothing behind.
Why are you receiving this unhelpful feedback? Some clues
- Boss doesn’t know how to provide feedback.
- Boss doesn’t want to have meaningful conversations about your gaps.
- Boss doesn't care about your career.
In the meantime, you
- feel appreciated
- expect that the praise will translate into a promotion
- don’t engage in meaningful discussions about your career progression
If that's your plan for 2023, let me tell you that you're probably in denial.
You can wishful-think yourself into the idea that the new year fairy is going to deliver a promotion but chances are that by the end of January this feel-good mirage will have disappeared.
What to do instead if you are receiving “non-specific” positive feedback? Ask your manager for specifics
- What's the value you provided to the business last year?
- What are your 3 most significant contributions last year?