I attended my first Toastmasters meeting the other night and learned a lot of useful tips that I can use to improve my sales skills. It was great to see how the group interacted and supported each other, and I'm already looking forward to attending more meetings in the future.
1. The Toastmasters motto is "Toastmasters International provides a supportive and positive learning experience in which members are empowered to develop communication and leadership skills, resulting in greater self-confidence and personal growth."
2. I learned that there are levels/roles of membership - with the higher tiers requiring more commitment from the member.
3. To get on stage at a meeting requires a process of reaching out to the President or VP of Education for the club to get added to the agenda. So the judges are prepared for evaluation. Any member can comptete in the speaking competitions.
4. There were about 10 people who attended my first meeting at Toastmasters that night, including myself! It was very welcoming and I can't wait to go back next week! You don’t have to join to attend.
5. One thing I'll be working on this year is giving presentations so that I can better execute converting my ideas into more persuasive change within an organization. Toastmasters has a lot of tech professionals from various roles to give different departmental perspective points of view.
6. Speaking of public speaking, one of the most important things you should do before your speech starts is introduce yourself so people know who you are without having to ask later on during your talk (or awkwardly introducing yourself mid-speech).
7.All in all it was a great experience for me at my first Toastmasters meeting; it really helped me feel like everyone has to learn, practice, and teach this skill.
There are many skills that can be learned at Toastmasters, but I want to focus on the skill of public speaking. It is a necessary ability for anyone looking to thrive in today’s professional world. The cost of this club is low and it provides an opportunity for you not only learn how to speak better, but also grow your leadership abilities by teaching others what you have mastered yourself.
If you haven’t checked out one meeting yet let me challenge you do so! You will meet new people who may become lifelong friends or mentors - all while learning something valuable about yourself. Join us next month if you're looking for a way to boost your confidence and communication skills. I highly recommend checking out the world class ranked Severna Park Toastmasters club. You won't regret it!
#leadership #sales #opportunity #people #experience #tech #future #growth #communication #change #publicspeaking #teaching #stage #like #learning